Village Hall

kozseghaza kicsi300 The old groundfloor village hall of the settlement also stood on this plot, but on the Széchenyi street side. In 1902 this building was pulled down and the new village hall had been erected here, on that part of the plot that looked towards the Deák Ferenc street. Its pyramid roof tower, similar to that of churches, raised high up from the streetscape at the time. On the facade of the building the original coat of arms of the town, although now a bit worn, can still be seen. The walls of its assembly hall had been decorated with oil paintings in the 1930s.
 Between 1950 and 1969, till the ceasing of the district of Szentgotthárd, the Village Council operated here before moving into the building of the Cistertian Monastery.
 On 27 October, 1956 László Csonka, a grammar school Russian language teacher, recited Sándor Petőfi’s National Song on the balcony of this building and it was here where István Hári, the elected president of the village national council addressed the crowd gathered at the building. A memorial plaque commemorates the events in 1956.
 Between 1970 and 1981 the building had been a Day Centre for the Elderly. Since 1981 a music school has been operating here.

Address of the building’s location:
Szentgotthárd, Deák Ferenc u. 3.