Uránia Motion Picture Theatre

urania mozi kicsi On the site where previously a shop had existed, two employees of the local clock factory, Leó Edelsohn and Katalin Hülle, had built the cinema of Szentgotthárd in 1913 which has continuously functioned ever since in this building as a movie. The look of the settlement has changed a lot in the past decades, but this institution on the left bank of the river Rába has been destined to entertain people since the beginning of the 20th century. It has been home not only to cinematic art, but also to other cultural programmes and ceremonies.
 The cinema started to project sound films in 1932 and the name of the place was changed several times. Initially it was named Uránia Motion Picture Theatre, then, from 1936 it was called Motion Picture Theatre and after 1947 its name was Kossuth Cinema. In 1955 the entrance hall had been extended, in 2010 the auditorium was modernised, while in 2013-2014 the entrance hall and the projection equipment and technology were fully renovated and modernised. Today’s technology makes it possible to present the works of other branches of art, theatre performances, concerts and periodic exhibitions of foreign museums. The film club that has been functioning here since 1997 puts together movie programmes based on different themes.
 In the 1930s László Csákányi, who later had become a great actor, learned in the local grammar school and was introduced already at that time to film making through film aesthetics lessons. On the one hundredth anniversary of the cinema, the institution was named after him.

Address of the building’s location:
Szentgotthárd, Hunyadi u. 1.