District Court

jarasbirosag kicsi Thanks to Kálmán Széll’s successful proposition in 1869 Szent-Gotthárd, as a second settlement after the county seat, was granted a royal court of justice. The court of justice of Szent-gotthárd consisted of three district courts: that of Szent-gotthárd, of Német-újvár and of Muraszombat. As a judicial centre, it had an important role and in a settlement with a large village status more attorneys and people with legal qualifications were needed. János Ivánkovich was the first and only chairman of the royal court of justice of Szentgotthárd which had started operation in 1872. In 1876 this court of justice was closed and only the district court and land registration office remained in the town.
 The one-storey building with a facade ornamented with decorative bricks was erected for the   District Court and the Land Registration Office. This one-storey Art Nouveau building closed the line of houses of similar, mostly Art Nouveau-like, architectural style on the northern side of Deák Ferenc street. In its yard there was the jail.
 The building had included the district court, land registration office and the local section of the people’s welfare institution. The first district judge of the Royal District Court of Szent-Gotthárd was Alajos Hambeck.
 In 1921 the Triple Entente Mission was accommodated in the building of the Royal District Court, and even the Mission’s plaque was hung on the gate in three languages.
In 1965 a decision was taken to terminate the district court. With the district of Szentgotthárd now having ceased, the District Court and the Land Registration Office had moved to Körmend and the building has ever since been a residential house. Even the jail in the yard was converted into flats.

Address of the building’s location:
Szentgotthárd, Deák Ferenc u.15.